Custom T-Shirts

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Books I'm Reading: Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job


I'm Doug and I'm currently unemployed. Sure, I have the great Doug E. Shirts at Zazzle site, but I don't get the medical benefits with that. So, like a lot of people nowadays, I'm looking for a job. And I'm finding that job hunting has changed in the last ten years, so I figured I would get some "new thinking" from Jay Conrad Levinson and David E. Perry in their book Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job (longest. title. ever.). My copy is a Kindle version and revised. I'm looking for ideas to jump-start my job search and ideas to possibly strengthen the marketing of my Zazzle store.

Chapter 2 is all about personal branding, guerrilla style. The following is a summarization that applies the themes to my job hunt as well as the marketing for my Zazzle store.

-Effective Branding is About Selling what Matters

This section helps you determine your marketable skills and find the achievements that prove those claims. Documenting those achievements with more than bullet points, highlighting how you saved your employers money or provided value is key.

Job Hunt: Intellectually, it's common sense to list my skills, but I need to have a sense of how it benefits my potential employer and put into writing.
Zazzle Store: The take-away is promoting myself a little more (okay, a LOT more) on my store's landing page and provide a sense of value for my products.

- Attitude Check

Employers need to see a positive, "can-do" attitude. Many people would rather hire a positive candidate with some skills that a person that is very qualified with a poor attitude. Someone who doesn't fall apart from setbacks but learns from them.

Job Hunt: I have to project an authentic positive "I want to be here" attitude with my resume, cover letter and style.
Zazzle Store: For me, this means being welcoming at my store and offering to go the extra mile with my customers.

To be continued...

No comments: