Custom T-Shirts

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Books I'm Reading: Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job

I'm Doug and I'm currently unemployed. Sure, I have the great Doug E. Shirts at Zazzle site, but I don't get the medical benefits with that. So, like a lot of people nowadays, I'm looking for a job. And I'm finding that job hunting has changed in the last ten years, so I figured I would get some "new thinking" from Jay Conrad Levinson and David E. Perry in their book Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 2.0: 1,001 Unconventional Tips, Tricks and Tactics for Landing Your Dream Job (longest. title. ever.). My copy is a Kindle version and revised. I'm looking for ideas to jump-start my job search and ideas to possibly strengthen the marketing of my Zazzle store.


Chapter 2 is all about personal branding, guerrilla style. The following is a summarization that applies the themes to my job hunt as well as the marketing for my Zazzle store.

- Shape Up Your Brand with Attitude

The chapter starts off with the reassuring fact that it's rarely the best qualified person who gets the job but the one who "packages" themselves best to meet the employer's needs (I knew it!).

Job Hunt: It's all about the presentation.
Zazzle Store: I have to find the people who want what I create and/or I have to meet my potential customer's needs.

- "You Inc."-Your Personal Brand

Being able to articulate your value is key to successful job hunting. Being able to show what makes you unique is what gives you your brand. People don't buy generic big ticket items; they buy a particular brand because of the peace of mind they get with a reliable brand. You can leverage your previous employers brands, projects and results.

Job Hunt: I can see that a major revision to my resume is in order. I need to make it more dynamic by showing my value by not only my previous employment, but also my results/successes in providing value for those employers.
Zazzle Store: I have to clearly define my Doug E. Shirts brand in a sea of other Zazzle brands. It probably would be a good thing to mention recent sales and numbers of page views to give people a sense that they're not on a vanity site. Perhaps a productive thing to do is go look at what the big sites (like Amazon) do on their sites to look more professional.

To be continued...

No comments: