Custom T-Shirts

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hans Rosling and the magic washing machine | Video on TED.com

Hans Rosling and the magic washing machine | Video on TED.com

In this TED video, Hans Rosling proclaims the washing machine as the greatest invention of the industrial age. And once you think about it, how can you disagree?

Let's face it - washing clothes was once time-consuming, back-breaking work, primarily done by women. With the invention of the washing machine, women were given the gift of discretionary time. Time that they could spend with their children and concern themselves with more than chore drudgery. What I like about this presentation is that I find myself questioning what truly is revolutionary as well as by what perspective I'm measuring that status. In addition, I am reminded that really great achievements are measured not only what effort is expended to achieve the goal, but what it actually means in improving the quality of life.

No comments: